For a long time I’ve struggled with using store bought deodorant. I would have to switch brands often, and finally got to the point where I was having to use clinical strength. Even then, it didn’t always work, or left the underarms of my shirts nasty. Washing them in a regular load of wash wouldn’t even remove the buildup on my shirts. Pretty nasty, huh? So, imagine what that is doing to our bodies. Not a pleasant thought, is it?
Like so many other cosmetics, several of the ingredients used in most deodorants and antiperspirants are not so good for you. Like these:
- Aluminum – This is the primary ingredient in most stuff you’ll buy at the store. It’s a metal which has been linked to breast cancer in women and increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease. No thanks.
- Parabens – This synthetic preservative is found in so many personal care products. The largest concern is that these chemicals will disrupt our delicate hormonal balance. Paraben exposure has also been linked to birth defects and organ toxicity.
- Propylene glycol – This is a petroleum based material. In large quantities, studies have shown that this stuff can cause damage to the central nervous system, liver, and heart.
- Phthalates – Another class of chemicals that have been linked to a variety of health issues including birth defects.
- Triclsoan – This chemical is actually classified as a pesticide by the FDA and a probable carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Even more unpleasant of a thought is the fact that I was beginning to taste my deodorant in my mouth, and my underarms were becoming sore on a regular basis. I finally said enough is enough. I talked to a friend about a deodorant she was using, and began to use an all natural deodorant. Long story short, it just wasn’t getting the job done. Not wanting to return back to using store bought deodorant, I decided to try out the recipe listed below. This stuff is amazing! It took my body a couple weeks to acclimate, but since then I have used this stuff on a daily basis. My husband and I recently returned from a mission trip to the Dominican Republic and this is all I used while there. If you know anything about the DR, you know it is VERY hot and humid. Best part, as hot as it was and as much as we sweated, I didn’t even have to reapply. I’d have to say, this is probably one of my biggest oil wins yet.
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Purification (helps protect against stinky smells)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cypress (helps cut back on sweating)